May 14, 2010 – Calgary AB - No one will be very surprised to hear that the use by Canadians of mobile telephones continues to grow by leaps and bounds. What might not be so apparent is how much of this demand can be attributed to that other 800-pound gorilla in your living room: Web 2.0 and its plethora of social media platforms, tools and applications.
Drawing from research data from one of its syndicated studies, ZINC Research points to a strong correlation between these two phenomena. Among the report’s highlights:Mobile phone usage
Mobile Internet access
- 71% of Canadians (70% of males and 73% of females) now use a mobile telephone;
- The majority of these users are young adults (18-34 years old, 76%) and adults (35-54 years old, 73%), most of whom have a higher level of education (college, 74%, university, 73%).
- 44% of mobile phone users can and do use their mobile phones to connect to the Internet;
- The majority of mobile Internet users once again skew towards the two core adult segments (18-34, 58%, 35-54, 42%) and towards higher education levels (college, 46%, university, 44%); mobile Internet surfers tend to skew more male (46% compared to 41% of female users).
ZINC Research president Brian F. Singh emphasizes the need for business operators and marketers of every description – not just for telephony providers – to pay close attention to each of these trends: “Where mobile telephony and social media intersect is in merging real-time connectivity and interactivity. Marketers need to understand how to use each of these powerful and increasingly popular vehicles to communicate and engage with their customers.”
ZINC study provides insights on social media trends for marketers and business leaders
- Click charts to enlarge -
For over four years ZINC Research has conducted specialized social media research that helps client organizations in the public and private sectors explore noteworthy trends and ideas. The firm periodically releases material from its studies six to eight months after their completion, based on its relevance to topical issues. In this case, the data originated in a syndicated survey, The Bridge, a comprehensive study of social media usage that ZINC has conducted regularly since 2007 , using a survey sample of 1,200 online respondents. For more information on The Bridge and ZINC’s other research offerings, contact Brian F. Singh at 403.269.7526. About ZINC Research
Founded in Calgary in 2006, ZINC provides online and onsite quantitative and qualitative market surveys and analysis for regional and international private and public sector clients throughout North America. Founding president Brian F. Singh is a market researcher and economist with over 20 years of experience. He has worked as an advisor and project manager in a broad range of industry sectors, including tourism, the environment, engineering, retail, financial services, demography, health and wellness, and information technology. For more information on ZINC Research, visit: www.zincresearch.com